History of the Humble Fire Department
On December 11, 1935,the Humble Volunteer Fire Department was
organized with Lee Hartley as the first Fire Chief and P.C. Cezeaux
as Assistant Chief. The first piece of apparatus was a one-half ton
Ford pickup. On July 31, 1937 the Fire Department took delivery on
their first piece of real firefighting equipment. It was a 1937Ford
Seagraves, 500 gpm, single-stage pumper with a 100 gallon water
tank, purchased for $2,433.33. This apparatus has been
refurbished and remains in use for parades.
The Women's Auxiliary Club of Humble was organized in 1939. The
purpose of the Auxiliary was to assist the Volunteer Fire Department
in its Public Safety Program. Mrs. Gertrude Whitney was elected
President, Mrs. Margaret Randow Vice President, and Mrs. Daye Scott
Secretary and Treasurer.
During their tenure as an Auxiliary with the Humble Volunteer
Fire Department, the Club participated in drives to raise funds for
a new fire truck and the building of a new Humble Community Hall
which was completed in 1940. They took First Aid courses and
training in civilian fire defense after the Japanese attack on Pearl
Harbor and acted as block wardens during World War II. The Auxiliary
disbanded around 1950.
Our next piece of equipment was purchased in 1958 when delivery
was taken on a 1957 Howe mounted on a two-ton Chevrolet. The receipt
of this piece of equipment created a housing shortage for the Fire
Department as the Fire Station was in the Harris County building on
Main Street which also housed the Library, City Hall and the Jail.
In 1961 construction was begun on a plot of land that had been
donated for a new Fire Station just west of the downtown area. This
location drew some opposition from the citizens of Humble due to the
fact that it was located across the railroad tracks from the main
business district. Much of the labor was furnished by the firemen
themselves to help keep down the expenses. The City completed the
construction and utilized the front part as the City Hall until a
new City Hall could be built in 1969.
In 1968 the Fire Department took delivery of a 1967 Seagraves
mounted on an International Chassis. When the City moved their
offices out in 1969 the Fire Department had the station to
themselves for the first time. This independence was short-lived as
the Police Department took quarters in the front in 1970 and until
February of 1974 occupied that space. Finally, after 39 years, the
Fire Department had a place of its own.
Late in 1974 Station No.2 was completed on Wilson Road, thus
enabling the Department to house trucks on both sides of the
railroad tracks, making the concerned citizens happy.
In 1991 the Fire Department moved into our current facility
located at 108 West Main. This is the headquarters for the
City of Humble Fire & EMS Department.